I provide both in-person and virtual sex coaching.
Looking for ways to enhance your sex life?
As a certified sex coach and experienced educator, I’ve helped many people learn how to experience:
I’ve also assisted many folks looking to refine their masturbation habits, explore nonmonogamy, and learn more about various kinks like cuckolding and strap-on sex.
How I help people:
I meet clients on Zoom or at my French Quarter location in New Orleans. First-time coaching sessions with new clients are virtual.
As a sex coach, my role is to:
- honor my clients’ trust and confidentiality
- gain a complete understanding of clients’ sex-related goals
- provide accurate, safe, fact-based information and guidance to help clients have the sex life they desire and deserve
This looks a little different depending on each individual, couple, or partnership. However, there’s a typical flow that works for most situations—
What happens during an initial sex coaching session:
Once you book your session, I’ll direct you to my intake form. This form gives me an idea of what brings you to sex coaching and what you’re hoping to get out of it. The information you provide helps me prepare for a productive session.
During your initial session, I’ll ask clarifying questions about the contents of your intake form. Then, I’ll make recommendations or brainstorm options with you for setting goals and/or milestones.
Depending on your goals, I’ll likely suggest one or more exercises to try on your own or with a partner. Exercises are based completely on your comfort level and do not have to be performed during a coaching session if you’re not comfortable with that.
In some cases, having multiple coaching sessions over time is the best approach. As trust is built, clients may find that they’re comfortable engaging in exercises during a session. This may look like removing clothing in front of a mirror, for example, or exploring guided self-touch or partnered-touch.
As always: consent is key. Clients’ comfort and safety, including emotional safety, is my top priority.
Will I have to book more than one coaching session?
If a client would benefit from in-person coaching exercises such as mirror work or verbally guided sensual touch, a second coaching session can be booked after the initial appointment.
Alternatively, partnered folks can book a private class for in-person exercises without an initial coaching session.
In many cases, clients only need one session to achieve their goal. For example, I’ve had clients struggling to find partners interested in the same kinks. In just one session, we were able to uncover a number of options they hadn’t tried yet.
In other cases, things might take a few more sessions to work out.
A good example of this is when a client has anorgasmia and wants to experience more orgasms. These clients usually need a gradual progression of assignments over the course of a few weeks. Each week, their homework takes them closer to achieving the genital sensation and/or mental state needed to orgasm.
Some clients benefit from ongoing coaching. I’ve had clients stick with me for months as we worked together to explore and define their personal sexual boundaries as well as create scripts for communicating and enforcing them.
How does sex coaching work?
Sex coaching provides clients with a knowledgeable expert and safe space to ask questions about sex and sexuality. It’s often similar to talk-based counseling.
A sex coach can:
- share new ideas to practice in the bedroom
- provide professional insight backed by the latest sexual research
- ensure that you’re being safe in your pursuit of sexual goals
- offer tips for enhancing your sexual journey
- advise on the best course of action when communicating with partners
A sex coach does not:
- Provide therapy or counseling. Most do not have the required educational background to adequately help clients manage disorders or recover from trauma. (Though sex therapists with these qualifications do exist.)
- Have sex with clients. Some may use touch-based methods (called sexological bodywork or somatic sex therapy). Some coaches may refer clients to sex surrogates, but only if having sex with another person would be helpful to their process.
How to Prepare for a Sex Coach Session
If you’re ready for a sex coaching session, that’s great! Here are some things you can do to be prepared and get the most out of your session:
- Complete the intake form. Here’s a look at my intake form with questions about your health, sexual history, relationship history, and more. You’ll be directed to this form after you book your session. Do your best to answer each question as completely as you can. Set aside some time so you don’t have to rush. If you struggle to pay attention to long forms, you can schedule a free discovery call to answer the questions instead.
- Exercise self-care before your session. Talking about sex can be really hard. Most of us weren’t brought up in a sex-positive culture which made it easy to do. Knowing that you’re going into a sex coaching session can bring a sense of discomfort. Do your best to unwind and relax as much as possible ahead of time and take care of yourself. Don’t forget to breathe when you get there!
- Remember that a sex coach is just a person who wants to help. It can feel strange to turn to someone who is an “expert” in something that we’re led to believe should be easy. However, it’s important to remember that sex coaches just want to help people have the sex life they desire. Even when sharing very intimate details about your life, a sex coach isn’t in the business of passing judgment—they’re there to gather information, provide resources and information, and cheer you on to a more fulfilling sex life.
Sex Coaching is Just a Click Away
Shannon Burton, SXI is a professional sex coach certified through a program aligned with American College of Sexologists standards. Book a free 15-min discovery call today or fill out my free intake form to find out whether your blocks to better sex can be resolved with sex coaching.
Have questions before you book? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if a consultation is right for you.
Private Sex Coaching
Classes & Presentations
I facilitate trainings, webinars, and workshops on topics like:
- Understanding and practicing consent
- Curating sex-positive culture
- LGBTQIA+ inclusive practices
- Engaging in kink and BDSM
- Ethical/consensual nonmonogamy
- How-to’s for sexual exploration